No fishies were harmed in the making!
As quoted by Aura, the brains behind this incredible recipe: "This is the easiest, no-look cooking you will ever do. Least human intervention with maximum flavour." She used a pressure cooker for this recipe, but a stovetop pot should do the trick too!
Vegan Spanish-Style Sardines (Serves 5 to 6 people)
10 bay leaves
1 - 1 1/2 head of garlic
3 cans of Nature's Charm Banana Blossom
1 tbsp of olives or capers (or both)
1 tbsp of whole peppercorns
1 tsp kala namak
1 large carrot, carved and sliced thick
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut amminos
1 tbsp smoked paprika
3 red chillies
1 tsp salt (adjust according to taste)
1 cup of EVOO (or add 1/2 cup more if necessary)
1-2 cups of water, until almost covering blossoms
*Note on water: Banana blossoms shrink after cooking, no need to fill it above the blossoms.
P.S. I didn’t have enough olives, had to sub it with capers.
1. Combine all ingredients together in the pressure cooker.
2. Pressure cook for 20 minutes. Release heat. Remove lid.
3. Sauté/Sear Low Temp until water has reduced, around 5 minutes.
4. Serve with rice and enjoy!
- If the sardines are too spicy, serve with more rice!
- You can keep the leftovers and use for another dish. The more it sits, the more it develops flavour.
Recipe by: Aura; IG@curbyherby
If you give this a try, be sure to let us know in the comment section below, and let us know what other recipes you wish to see. Don’t forget to snap a picture of your epic vegan sardines for Instagram, and tag us at @souleygreen @naturescharmsg with the hashtag #souleygreen #sgsoulfoodfriends #naturescharmsg if you do - we love seeing your recreations!