We are delighted to bring you this fantastic creation by Megan from @carrotsandflowers whom very kindly created this recipe for Nature's Charm! This vegan fish & chips recipe has a flaky, superb realistic texture, unlike any other vegan recipes that call for soy protein substitutes. *HIP HIP HOORAY*
The banana blossom fillets also look incredibly alike to fish fillets which makes it an excellent dish to prepare if you have fussy guest eaters coming over for a get-together ;) Also, it could help you curb those cravings for pub foods!
Vegan Fish and Chips (Serves 2 to 3 people)
1 (18oz, 510 g) can Nature's Charm Banana Blossoms
Frozen french fries
Oil for frying
2 cups (470 ml) water
1 tbsp (7 g) kelp powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
1 tsp (1 g) chopped dill
1 cup(120 g) flour (chilled)
1 tsp (4 g) celery salt
1 tsp (2 g) paprika
¾ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp pepper
Pinch garlic powder
1 cup (236 ml) ice cold IPA or other beer
Vegan Tartar Sauce:
¼ cup (58 g) vegan mayo
1 tbsp (10 g) minced cornichons (small pickles)
2 tsp (20 g) caper, roughly chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) white vinegar
½ tsp dijon
1 tsp (2 g) fresh dill, chopped
Pinch salt and pepper
- Drain the banana blossoms then shape them into filets. Wrap the blossoms in clean kitchen towels and squeeze out all of the brine.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl. Submerge the banana blossoms in the marinade. Cover and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Wait 40 minutes. Place the beer and flour in the freezer for ten minutes to chill. That will help the filets stay extra crispy when frying. Once it's chilled, mix the flour with the rest of the batter ingredients except for the beer. Slowly add the beer to the flour mixture while stirring. Cover and place the batter in the freezer for ten minutes, so it is extra cold.
- Bake the fries according to package instructions. Make the sauce. Cover and place in the fridge. Add the flour to a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 365F. Meanwhile, take the banana blossoms out of the freezer and drain. Gently wrap the blossoms in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze all of the water out. Press the leaves together tightly to form a filet shape, then coat them in the flour, getting in all the crevices. Dunk them in a thick coating of batter then fry them in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Flip halfway.
- Fry the banana blossoms in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. If the temperature of the oil drops, the filets will become greasy. I recommend heating the oil back up between batches, so the second batch is perfectly crisp.
- The amount of oil needed depends on the size of the pan you're using. I recommend having at least 3 cups and filling the oil to minimum 1" (2.5 cm) in the pan.
- To test if the oil is hot, add a bit of salt. When it sizzles, it's ready!
Recipe by: Megan; IG@carrotsandflowers
If you give this a try, be sure to let us know in the comment section below, and let us know what other recipes you wish to see. Don’t forget to snap a picture of your epic vegan fish and chips for Instagram, and tag us at @souleygreen @naturescharmsg with the hashtag #souleygreen #naturescharmsg if you do - we love seeing your recreations!