Green Jackfruit is the new talk of the town, and we can see why! Although it is commonly used to replace 'pulled pork' in meatless dishes, it is so versatile that it can be used in any dishes. You will see what we mean as we feature more of our SoulFood Friend's recipes and creations!
Today, we are featuring Annabelle Johnson, a dietitian and a personal trainer, who took some time out of her busy schedule to create this dish using Nature's Charm Green Jackfruit! Serve this Jackfruit chilli with tacos, rice or burrito wraps - clean and simple!
Green Jackfruit Chilli (makes 6-8 servings)
2 cans Nature's Charm Green Jackfruit in Brine (300g drained weight each)
1 large red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon chilli powder (adjust for spice)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans
3 tablespoons tomato puree
1 thumb-sized piece dark chocolate
1. Pull apart drained jackfruit with your hands.
2. Chop onion and garlic.
3. Fry onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened.
4. Add chilli powder, paprika and cumin, fry for a minute.
5. Add Green Jackfruit, beans, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes.
6. Add enough water to just cover mixture, around 400mL.
7. Let simmer and reduce for around 20 minutes. Stir regularly.
8. Stir in chocolate and season with salt and pepper once reduced.
9. Serve as desired with lime wedges, guacamole and sour cream.
Recipe by: Annabelle; IG@annabelledietitian
If you give this a try, be sure to let us know in the comment section below, and let us know what other recipes you wish to see. Don’t forget to snap a picture of your epic creation for Instagram, and tag us at @souleygreen @naturescharmsg with the hashtag #souleygreen #naturescharmsg if you do - we love seeing your recreations!