Many home bakers had great results using this dairy-free alternative. As it is already sweetened, most find that they can reduce the amount of sugar used or omit butter completely.
Mei Yee of @nm_meiyee shared with us her 'Asian Sweet Bread' recipe that got us drooling! 'Red Bean Bread' is a childhood favourite for many, and this is a much healthier alternative to the traditional recipe as it's made with no butter, eggs or dairy.
So here's the recipe...
Ingredients:Red bean paste filling
- 1 cup red bean, soaked overnight & drained
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup bread flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm oat milk
- 2 tbsp Nature's Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- Add water in a pot along with the beans. Cook beans until soft (1 hour). Add in sugar and heat over low to cook off extra water until form a paste texture. Keep stirring during the process. Transfer beans paste to a food processor and process until smooth. Let it cool.
- In a saucepan, mix starter ingredients and whisk until no lumps. Heat over medium (stirring constantly). Once mixture begins thicken, remove it from the stove, let it cool.
- Add sugar, warm milk and yeast in a measuring cup, let sit for 10 mins until bubbles to form in the cup.
- In a stand mixer combine bread flour, salt. Add starter and yeast mixture into bread flour mixture.
- Mixing on low-medium speed with the hook attachment until the dough comes together (about 5 mins) add condensed milk and continue kneading until the dough is smooth.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and knead until a smooth ball formed. Place dough into a bowl. Cover with kitchen towel. Let it proof until it’s doubled in size (about 1 hour)
- Take the dough out of the bowl. Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll out each round of dough into an oval shape. Spread bean paste over the dough (about 3 tbsp) stopping 1/4-inches from the edges on the long sides. Take one short end of the dough and fold just to the center of the oval, then take the other end and fold to meet the top.
- Flatten folded dough with the rolling pin. Then roll the dough up. Place the rolled-up dough into the bread pan. Once all the 3 rolled-up doughs are in the loaf pan, cover with towel. Let rise until doubled in size, about 40 mins.
- Brush the top of the bread with melted coconut oil and condensed coconut milk. Bake at 180c for 30 mins.
Recipe by: Mei Yee; IG@nm_meiyee
If you give this a try, be sure to let us know in the comment section below, and let us know what other recipes you wish to see. Don’t forget to snap a picture of your epic creation for Instagram, and tag us at @souleygreen @naturescharmsg with the hashtag #souleygreen #naturescharmsg if you do - we love seeing your recreations!
Shop Our #REDUCE items