What happens when you put a puffin with a muffin in the room? Nuffin. ('course they don't like muffins) Ahem. Muffins are, however, one of our favourite baked treats, and whoever says otherwise hasn't eaten one before.
Thanks to NourishPlant, all the other muffins pale in comparison to her marvellous-sounding "Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffin with Yoghurt Glaze" recipe. You're probably wondering—what on earth is a streusel? It's a German word that's used in baking, connotes a crumbly topping of flour, butter, and sugar (we'd be using ground oat flour, coconut sugar, vegan butter) that's added to the top of pies, muffins, or any other baked treats you'd like to sprinkle on.
With these delish vegan muffins in tow, we're undaunted by the prospects of becoming a muffin-top (that is if we singlehandedly finish the entire tray—an idea that isn't so ludicrous when you smell the golden muffins baking happily in the oven). When they emerge, get ready to spoon the creamy coconut yoghurt on top, along with your streusel crumbs! The recipe may look really long, but we assure you... it's easy to follow, and oh so worth it!
- 90ml soy milk + 1 tbsp as needed
- 1/3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp aquafaba
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 extra fine whole wheat flour (92g)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (28g)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- small pinch of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3-1/2 cup coarsely ground oat flour
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
COCONUT YOGHURT GLAZE:
- 1 tsp Nature's Charm coconut condensed milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened yoghurt of choice
- Start by preparing buttermilk by adding 90ml milk with acv.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Once the buttermilk has curdled, add aquafaba and vanilla essence in the buttermilk.
- Pour wet ingredients in dry ingredients mixture and fold until combine. If mixture is too dry, add 1 tbsp plant mylk.
- Transfer batter to muffin tin lined with muffin cups and bake in oven for 25 minutes
Recipe by: NourishPlant
Do you love or hate muffins? If you hate 'em, you're probably a puffin 😉 We'd love to see how your Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffin with Yoghurt Glaze turned out! Tag us on IG at @SouleyGreen and @NaturesCharmsg, along with the hashtags #souleygreen #naturescharmsg.